Sunday, June 17, 2012

DAY 1 JUNE 17, 2012


MOUNTAINS IN MULANGE - MALAWI


MOUNTAINS IN MULANJE - MALAWI

Oh how wonderful it feels to place my feet upon the "Motherland" in Malawi once again.  I really love this place and it has been 3 years since my last visit.  I came to Malawi for the first time in 2001 and after more than a decade of visiting I am comfortable speaking two phrases in Chichewa, "Hello, how are you" and "Thank you". 

The scenery is gorgeous and the weather is quite pleasant this time of year. This is the beginning of the winter season in Malawi where the days are warm and the evenings are cool and windy.  

The most exciting news coming out of Malawi these days is the swearing in of a new president, the Honorable Joyce Banda.  She is the first woman president of Malawi and the second on the continent of Africa.  The political scene in Malawi in the past year has been tense to put it mildly with a declining economy, fuel shortages, and very unhappy Malawians.  Currently things are better but there is still a lot of work ahead of the Malawian government and its people.

I am in Malawi with my colleagues from the UCSF School of Nursing - Sally, Susan K, Susan C, Ellen and Amy.  This trip will be a wonderful adventure as we interact with our colleagues from the University of Malawi KCN School of Nursing and School of Medicine’s Department of Pharmacy.  I will attempt to describe the highlights and the wonders of my travels.  

We are staying at House Five in Blantyre.  A modest but wonderful estate with terrific lush views.  It is truly one of God's many wonderful creations.

 BACKYARD OF HOUSE FIVE







No comments:

Post a Comment